Delirium review


Laurel Oliver is a talented author who has written an emotional book about love, or rather lack of.

While I was reading this book I became very frustrated, I could not imagine a world with Love, Thankfully Lauren wrote a book that I could wrap my mind around. The book started out talking about the book of shhh and what it was. Then the next chapter started her life story, starting with her mom’s funeral. Everyone in the world was cured of love. Everyone got the procedure that would cure them of the disease of Love. Lena was counting down the days till her procedure. She didn’t want to go crazy, like her mom used to be.

Lena’s mom never believed in the cure. She believes in Love and wanted to keep her emotions. She didn’t want to walk around like all those other emotionless robots. Lena was told that her mom had committed suicide, jumping off a cliff to her death. Ever since then Lena has gone through so much. She loved and missed her mom, no matter how crazy her mom was for not accepting the cure.

Lena’s best friend Hana has always been the risk taker, never one for going by the rules. When they went for their evaluation before the procedure, Lena messed up big time. She said crazy things that the judges were appalled at the answers she gave them. Even though her aunt made her go over the answers. Thankfully some kind of prank disrupted the meeting and she was able to do a redo of her meeting another time.

Lena then meets Alex. A boy she thought was cured, so she didn’t need to worry about falling in Love. Before she knew it she bumped into him multiple times and they started meeting up together secretly. Lena starts feeling something for Alex and her façade crumbles away. Not only does Love Alex, Alex loves her back. She doesn’t want to be crazy like her mom, she doesn’t want the disease.

What was frustrating was that Lena had feelings for Alex, yet she denied it. All throughout the book she kept creeping around her feelings, hoping they would go away. But they never did.

By the end of the book I was sitting on the edge of my seat, wondering what would happen next. I didn’t expect the ending at all. So many twists and turns.

I really want to review more of the book but it would give to much of it away. To many spoilers.

Although the first 150 pages were kind of slow, it was good to be able to see her story, to feel the emotions of why she was the way she was. This story kind of reminded me of Matched in a way and I loved it. I’m a huge fan of Lauren Oliver and now I’m mad that I have to wait a whole year to read Pandemonium.

All I can say is that, if you haven’t read Delirium yet, you have to. No one should go without reading this book!

5/5 stars

5 comments:

Hannah said...

I LOVE this book! You're right- it's awesomesauce :)

Unknown said...

I am really excited about this one. Lauren Oliver is going to be in my state next month and I am definitely going to go and get a signed copy!

brendajean said...

Thanks for the review. I definitely need to pick this up!!

tfalick said...

this is another one I HAVE to get! I can't wait to read it! EEEPPP!
LOVE your reviews!

Sakira said...

I loved Before I Fall AND Delrium. Lauren Oliver is such a great writer. It does start off slow, but I love how Oliver builds the emotions, the character. And I love watching Lena grow to accept love as part of being human, not a disease.

Kris

Post a Comment


up