Wintertown




Wintertown
Author: Stephen Emond
pages: 305
publication date: December 5






Summary:
Every winter, straight-laced, Ivy League bound Evan looks forward to a visit from Lucy, a childhood pal who moved away after her parent's divorce. But when Lucy arrives this year, she's changed. The former "girl next door" now has chopped dyed black hair, a nose stud, and a scowl. But Evan knows that somewhere beneath the Goth, "Old Lucy" still exists, and he's determined to find her... even if it means pissing her off.

Garden State meets Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist in this funny and poignant illustrated novel about opposites who fall in love.



Review:
WinterTown Is one of those weird books where you don’t quite know if it’s you like the book or not, while reading it my thoughts were all over the place. I didn’t know what to make of the book.

I did like the closeness that Evan and Lucy had but I felt like there should have been more of Lucy and Evan as a couple. Evan’s character is great, I loved his awesome nerdiness, his charm, the way he thought, you could really tell what he was thinking in this book and it was nice to be able to see inside Evan’s mind in most of this book.

Unfortunately I didn’t like Lucy’s character at all. I felt like all she did was feel sorry for herself the whole time and she kind of annoyed me throughout the book, she changed so much from when Evan last saw her a year before. Evan didn’t like the new Lucy and neither did I. She had family issues, so she decided to rebel and turn Goth, unfortunately her personality and demeanor changed with her clothes.

This book was different, it had pictures and comic strips and it made the whole book come together nicely, while reading this I couldn’t help but think about the times when I used to read picture books and I never read the words, it’s refreshing to go back to that and read a YA book that has pictures in it.

I didn’t feel like Wintertown was amazing, and I found myself looking at the page numbers and thinking “is this book almost done.” The pictures broke up the writing and made the book fast paced and more enjoyable.
I don’t know whether reading this in winter time would make this book more enjoyable. I don’t know if reading books in certain seasons that pertain to the plot of the book, but I wonder if I read this book in wintertime if I would enjoy this book more. I don’t know, it’s definitely a good theory to try out.

Anyways, Wintertown was a different read than I’m used to reading, it was pretty fast paced and a light read. I’m glad I got an ARC of it, hopefully when winter comes around, and this book comes out, people with snuggle inside a blanket with a cup of hot cocoa and enjoy it!

2/5 stars

0 comments:

Post a Comment


up