Moonglass




Moonglass
Author:Jessi Kirby
Pages: 232
Publication date: May 3 2011





Summary:
I read once that water is a symbol for emotions. And for a while now, I've thought maybe my mother drowned in both.

Anna's life is upended when her father accepts a job transfer the summer before her junior year. It's bad enough that she has to leave her friends and her life behind, but her dad is moving them to the beach where her parents first met and fell in love- a place awash in memories that Anna would just as soon leave under the surface.

While life on the beach is pretty great, with ocean views and one adorable lifeguard in particular, there are also family secrets that were buried along the shore years ago. And the ebb and flow of the ocean's tide means that nothing- not the sea glass that she collects on the sand and not the truths behind Anna's mother's death- stays buried forever.




Review:

I read the synopsis awhile ago and really wanted to read it. I finally got to read the book and I have to say I was a bit disappointed. I saw the couple on the cover and thought that this was going to be a great romantic story. I was wrong; Moonglass didn’t really that much romance in it. It was about Anna trying getting over the guilt of her mom and running away from the memories of her mom. But even without the romance it was still a beautiful heartwarming read.

I see a little bit of Anna in myself. Anna has a certain outlook on life where she judges before she finds out what things are really like. Take Ashley, by looking at her Anna thought she was a spoiled rich girl and that the whole school was like Ashley. But once she got to know Ashley she saw her true personality, the caring, sweet side of Ashley. Yes she was rich but not all girls are like what you see in movies.

My favorite character was Jillian, for some reason I really loved her character. At first I thought of her as a shallow, sporty girl who just wanted to show off with her running skills but once I saw her through Anna’s eyes I really felt compassion for her.

Some parts of Moonglass were boring but it all led up to the climax of the story. The whole book is at a beach and I have only ever been to a beach before and I know how beautiful it is I loved how much detail was put into this book, I could picture the empty cottages, the bottom of the ocean, the whole aspect of the story.

I thought the parts where they said that the sea glass was mermaids tears, crying for their human loved ones was really cool. Everything came together and all the pieces fit together, Anna certainly was a strong character.

Moonglass was all about Anna finding her true self and finally finding out about her mom. I admit the ending made me tear up a little bit. Moonglass is a great summer read and Jessi created such a wonderful emotional book about love and guilt.


4/5 stars

2 comments:

Cory K said...

I cannot believe I still haven't picked this one up. Great review, sounds great!

Happy 4th of July! Don't be a stranger; stop by my blog and say hi! I'm not really sure if we're fellow followers, but I follow you!

Looking forward to hearing back from you,
Cory @ Anti-Drug Reads

Allison said...

I'm curious to read this one- it's apparently set in my local area. Glad to hear you enjoyed it!

Reading Everywhere

Post a Comment


up