Shine



Shine
author: Lauren Myracle
pages:350
publication date:May 1 2011





Summary:
When her best guy friend falls victim to a vicious hate crime, sixteen-year-old Cat sets out to discover who in her small town did it. Richly atmospheric, this daring mystery mines the secrets of a tightly knit Southern community and examines the strength of will it takes to go against everyone you know in the name of justice.

Against a backdrop of poverty, clannishness, drugs, and intolerance, Myracle has crafted a harrowing coming-of-age tale couched in a deeply intelligent mystery. Smart, fearless, and compassionate, this is an unforgettable work from a beloved author.


Review:
While starting this I honestly didn’t think I would like Shine at all. I read a lot of Lauren Myracle books before and loved them, but this one seemed to be really different from her usual writing. But I do get have to say that this book was really good. It was really well written.

This book revolves around Patrick’s beating. Patrick was beaten with a baseball bat and tied to a gas pump where someone shoved a gas nozzle down his throat, all because Patrick was gay. Thankfully someone came when they did and found Patrick clinging onto death. He was immediately rushed to the hospital.

Cat used to be Patrick’s best friend, they would do everything together, and they would do everything together. But Cat pushed Patrick away a couple of years ago and they never talked again. Now Cat wants to solve the mystery of who would do such a thing.

She tried asking people questions but no one knew anything. Not even her brother would tell her anything. She knew her brother and his group of friends, including Patrick hung out the night of his beating. Every time she got a lead it would go nowhere, she then starts to put the puzzle pieces together.

She didn’t want to believe it at first; she didn’t want to believe that the person who beat Patrick was someone she actually knew.

Although the beginning of the book was a little bit slow, the pace picked up and I was hooked. I like reading mystery books and trying to figure out who did it before anyone actually figured it out. I actually did think it was him, earlier clues gave me hints. But I was still as surprised as Cat was. Near the end I was sitting on the end of my seat wanting to help Cat, I felt helpless that I couldn’t even help her. And then I remembered it was only a book.

I definitely recommend reading this book, and who can resist that beautiful cover!

4/5 stars

4 comments:

Paul Greci said...

Shine sounds like an interesting read. Thanks!!

Tracy.H said...

This one sounds like a good one. A nice change from the paranormal and dystopian I have been reading as of late. Thanks! :0)

bookworm1494 said...

your welcome, it is definitely a break from all that, it was a very fast paced book and I hope you enjoy it!

-Alyssa

Sakira said...

I received this book a couple weeks ago but haven't started it yet because I was hesitant about reading a mystery like this. Your review has got me hooked and tingling to read it. I think I'm going to be finishing this book soon :D

Kris

Post a Comment


up