Interview with Caron Rider author of "Silver Knight"



Author:Caron Rider

Author of: Silver Knight



Bio:

In the 1990s, I began teaching adults to use computer software, hardware, and networking. After several years, my clients became younger and younger until I found myself tutoring high school dropouts to pass the GED. I found working with at-risk teenagers so rewarding that I changed my undergraduate major to Education.
Upon graduating from the University of South Alabama with a B.S., I began teaching high school history and continue to teach history classes online. I now live in rural Missouri with my two kids, two dogs, two cats, and father.


Interview:

1-      How long did the writing process for Silver Knight take?

Silver Knight took almost a year to write and edit.

2-      When will the second book come out?

Silver Demon will come out towards the end of June (barring any technical problems with editing). So hopefully it will be available on the Summer Solstice.

3-      What inspired you to write a book about slaying demons?

I am a history buff and particularly like history about different religions and how they came about. In my family history I have a relative who was named Solomon. Now one of the more famous people in Jewish and Christian history was King Solomon. So there I have one connection with the idea of people coming back around based on a continuation of their names (not that I think I’m descended from King Solomon, but you never know). Then there is an ancient text known as the Testament of Solomon, which talks about Solomon controlling armies of demons. So I put him together with killing demons and reincarnation.  From there I simply wanted an enjoyable story that had a strong female lead.

4-      Obviously there’s going to be a second book, how many books are going to be included in the series?

I thought for the first part of The Silver Series, it would be a trilogy. From that point I would like to have some stories about several of the other characters that might be stand-alone novels within this same demon-killing world.

5-      If you could be any character (male or female) from your book who would you pick? And why?

I would be Bathsheba. In Silver Knight, she already has a connection to several of the characters (and if you’ve read it and were paying particular attention, then you may  have found all the connections), but readers will learn a lot more about her in book two. She’s an exciting character.

6-      While writing this book, did you write it cover to cover, or did you write it in separate pieces?

I have a really weird writing style that drives my editor nuts! I go through and write the whole thing, but it tends to be very bare bones. So then I go back and start filling in pieces.  I have a feeling my methodology will probably evolve some as the story progresses.

7-      Do you have any rituals you do while writing (like listening to music, etc.)? And when do you do most of your writing?

I do my best brainstorming when I listen to music and drive but I have to write while it’s quiet. Really I’m at my computer from about 6:30 a.m. until about 10:00 p.m. I only take breaks to tend to the house, kids, grandpa, animals, etc.

8-       What are some things about you that nobody really knows?

That’s a tough one because I’m pretty much an open book. When my students first meet me, it’s funny because if you ask me a question, I’m going to answer it and they are often very surprised at those answers. I’ve taught many who are considered “at-risk” so their attitude towards me is often hostile until they discover that I grew up more poor than many of them and that I had a mother who was an alcoholic and drug addict. All of a sudden I’m not considered “the enemy” because they feel like I’ve faced some of the same hurdles. It’s important to me for them to know that they can overcome whatever life has thrown at them.

1 comments:

Post a Comment


up