Ten Things We Did (and Probably Shouldn't Have)




Ten Things We Did (and Probably Shouldn't Have
Author: Sarah Mlynowski
Pages: 368 pages
publication date: June 7 2011






Summary:
2 girls + 3 guys + 1 house – parents = 10 things April and her friends did that they (definitely, maybe, probably) shouldn't have.

If given the opportunity, what sixteen-year-old wouldn't jump at the chance to move in with a friend and live parent-free? Although maybe "opportunity" isn't the right word, since April had to tell her dad a tiny little untruth to make it happen (see #1: "Lied to Our Parents"). But she and her housemate Vi are totally responsible and able to take care of themselves. How they ended up "Skipping School" (#3), "Throwing a Crazy Party" (#8), "Buying a Hot Tub" (#4), and, um, "Harboring a Fugitive" (#7) at all is kind of a mystery to them.

In this hilarious and bittersweet tale, Sarah Mlynowski mines the heart and mind of a girl on her own for the first time. To get through the year, April will have to juggle a love triangle, learn to do her own laundry, and accept that her carefully constructed world just might be falling apart . . . one thing-she-shouldn't-have-done at a time.



review:
This was a fun and fast paced book, so many people have told me how much they loved it, I had to get my hands on a copy right away.

At first I was really into the book but then by the end I don’t think I liked it as much as I thought I did, it was definitely 4 stars for me but I was hoping for the amazing 5 star book.

I felt like punching the main girl only because she kept lying and digging herself in a giant hole, but I honestly have to say that this book would never happen in real life, first of all, no way would any kid get away without the parents meeting, I mean she was really sneaky and kept making up excuses as to why her dad couldn’t meet Susan, I mean really, my dad would insist that he talk to her in person first, second of all I don’t think a parent would give me $1,000 dollars each month, he would tell me to go out and get a job.

Then there’s her whole mom thing, her mom knew the whole time, and being the good mom she was kept it quiet from her dad, what kind of mom would do that? She and her mom are “best friends” but come on, even a mom has to take some responsibility, and I was annoyed with her mom too!

But bad things aside I really did enjoy reading this book, at times I was biting my nails ready for her to get caught, they definitely thought of everything that’s for sure, and somehow everything worked out.

At the end I would have liked to hear what the dad said when she told him, I would have liked to hear him get mad or ground her or something but the book ended right there, I was a little disappointed about that but I will get over it.

Sarah did create a wonderful story that has people wanting more of her writing; I have read Gimme a Call by her and I liked it but this one was even better! I loved reading about April’s life of lies. Can’t wait to see what else Sarah writes.


4/5 stars

2 comments:

Sandra said...

This is too funny, I just reviewed this for my blog (like ten minutes ago), went to my Google reader and saw your review! I also gave it four stars and made the same points you made - this would never happen in real life April's mom needs to take on more responsibility, I said she needed to suck it up and actually call April's dad once in a while to discuss April.

Anonymous said...

she definitely should have, I don't know how the mother acted when she was with April but I hope she didn't act that irresponsible

Post a Comment


up